Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Michigan Avenue - South Bend, Indiana

Michigan Street - South Bend, Indiana by What Makes The Pie Shops Tick?


County seat of St. Joseph County, South Bend is located only 230 miles from the center of U.S. population and right in the heart of America's great inland Industrial Empire.

Mailed from South Bend, Indiana to Mr. & Mrs. D.W. McDowell & Family of St. Louis 18, Missouri on August 19, 1946:

Mon. eve.
Nice & cool here but plenty of sunshine. We went to Lake Michigan - at Benton Harbor, Mich - yesterday to swim. Went to Hammond Ind. today. Having a nice time. You forgot to give me that name. Mar.Mar. & I can;t remember it at all.
Love, Vernelle

Michigan Avenue - South Bend, Indiana by What Makes The Pie Shops Tick?

At the intersection of Jefferson Blvd. (looking north). Michigan Ave. is South Bend, Indiana's main street and is part of the Dixie Highway (U.S. 31).

Now:

                                                        


As you can see, most of downtown South Bend has changed. Very few, if any, businesses has survived since these postcards were taken. The first postcard is probably from the early 1940s and the second one is from the late 1950s/early 1960s.
I cannot find any information anywhere on what happened to the Richman's store on the right of both cards. The building is still standing but was horribly mangled in the 1980s and is now an ugly mish-mash of 80s red paint and stucco.
The columns you see on the first card are from the State theatre. The building is still standing but has been unoccupied for many years.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete